BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Procrastination

I'm supposed to be writing right now. I have a deadline for a proposal. It absolutely, positively has to be done and in Monday morning before I leave for work. My chapters are basically done; I just need to do a little clean up, but the synopsis... EEK!

To be honest, I'm not sure why editors want a synopsis. I'm a seat of the pants writer and I can almost promise that very little of what I put in the synopsis is actually going to show up in the finished book.

I want to do a synopsis that explains who my characters are, gives what I know of the story (which is very little) and then conclude with, "and then some stuff happens that helps my characters experience emotional growth, advances both the romance and the story and concludes with a happy ending."

Unfortunately, editors don't seem to go for that. Shrug. Oh, well, I'll write a short story (AKA: The Synopsis) which will have no connection to the final version of the book other than the characters and everyone will be happy.

Anyway, I'm a world champion procrastinator. I think a lot of writers are, at least the ones I know. We all can find incredible ways to waste time instead of writing. Doesn't matter how tight the deadline, there's always time for email. Or to create a blog.

So far I've wasted about an hour and a half. I console myself with the fact that an hour of that was spent having coffee and waking up. This last half hour, well, it's procrastination at its best. I have been toying with the idea of a blog for a couple of months, but now, with the deadline looming fast on the horizon, it's absolutely the perfect time to create a blog and make entries.

Okay, seriously now, I'm going to get to work. I have to. I love these characters and want to sell this book. Even though it means another short deadline and another 4 months without enough sleep. And the stress and getting wound up tight. On the plus side, I've been through this kind of pressure before, so I know I can do it, and I wrote my best book ever.

The Power of Two is going to be in bookstores any day now. Another EEK moment. I hope the readers think this book is as good as my first and as good as the others in the 2176 series. Like I said in my previous paragraph, I think this is the best book I've ever written and I adore Jake and Cai. But, you never know if readers will feel the same. I'll be finding out soon, though.