BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Tsunami

This is going to be a public service announcement kind of post.

I've been watching CNN and have been absolutely stunned by the number of deaths and the amount of damage the tsunami left in Asia. Somehow posting about it in a blog didn't seem right.

But today as I watched the news coverage, CNN's online poll showed that only 15% of the respondents had donated to help the victims of the tsunami. That figure drove two things home for me. First, I hadn't donated yet and I meant to. Second, I have a kind of forum to encourage others to help.

I visited http://redcross.org and made a donation to the International Response Fund just minutes ago. On the news yesterday, there was a report that the Red Cross had been given an A+ by a group that rated charities. That's why I picked them over the other possibilities.

I know this post isn't smooth or pretty, but it is heartfelt. I want to encourage anyone who can help in some way to do so. It's crises like this that remind us how small the world is. We're all in this together on planet Earth.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Tomorrow morning I'll be back to my rambling.