BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, September 01, 2005

New Orleans

I can't stop watching the hurricane coverage, or stop thinking about New Orleans. I know Mississippi and Alabama were hit too, but I've never been to either state. I have been to New Orleans.

I remember the hotel on Canal Street and the people who worked there who were so friendly and helpful. The psychic who gave me a reading at Bottom of the Cup. The cute little jewelry store across the street that had the beautiful bracelets and rings. I remember the Bourbon French Perfume shop and the ladies that worked there. We had such a fun conversation as one of them worked to come up with my unique perfume. I remember the quaint little restaurant just off Jackson Square and having beignets and cafe au lait outdoors. I remember the street performers in the French Quarter and walking along Bourbon Street at night, watching all the people. I remember riding the trolley through the Garden District and then turning around and returning to the hotel.

And I look at the pictures on the news and can't even comprehend that this is the same city. I see the people in such dire need of help, and can't help crying. I see the loss, the bewilderment, the anger that help isn't forthcoming and my heart breaks.

I'm not much for cities. I don't like New York or Los Angeles. Even Minneapolis has gotten too big, but New Orleans was special. The ambiance of the city, the friendliness of the people--it quickly became one of my favorite places.

So I watch the news, and I wonder about all the wonderful people that I met. I wonder how long it will take to evacuate the sick and injured, the people trapped by the water. I wonder how long it will take to regain control from the thugs who are walking around with automatic weapons. And I wonder what will become of these people who are displaced, who have no jobs, no homes, nothing but the clothes on their back.

I've already donated to the Red Cross, I did that days ago, but it doesn't seem like enough. But as I see the tragedy on the Gulf Coast, I don't know that there is enough any one person can do.

Here are some pictures I took of New Orleans during happier times.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is a shot of a New Orleans Police Department building. My friend and I were laughing that this is where Marc Chastain from Linda Howard's Kill and Tell worked.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is a shot of the Mississippi River. At the time, I was amazed that it was over my head. In Minnesota, we have to look down to see the river.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
These carriages were very close to the river and across the street from the place where my friend and I had beignets and cafe au lait. I can't remember the name of the place now, but it's famous. It'll probably come to me in the middle of the night.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is a government building (I think) in the French Quarter (I think).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Here's a shot down one of the streets in the French Quarter. During my stay, I spent a lot of time in here and loved it.