BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Saturday, September 03, 2005

One Big Spider

Last night, I was IMing with a friend and saw this huge spider walking across the carpet. I think this is the same spider I tried to kill twice before and missed. He was a fast bugger! But he wasn't moving fast now. Here was my chance. I grabbed a couple pieces of tissue and ran to smoosh him. Success! Until I sat back down and realized my foot hurt.

Yes, despite having surgery nearly 4 weeks ago, I forgot. And that's despite the fact that my foot was aching all day on Thursday and most of Friday morning. So when I attacked the spider, I did it barefoot, without wearing the oh-so-fashionable cam boot. Sigh. I ended up needing to pop Advil to sleep last night.

Speaking of sleeping, my schedule is all screwed up. I've been staying up till 2 or 3am and then sleeping late--which I won't be able to do come Tuesday. So for the past couple of days, I've been trying to sleep fewer hours and go to bed earlier. Last night, I tried 11pm. I was tired, I should be able to sleep. I didn't. 3am. Sigh. I have to work on this some more, or I'll be miserable on Tuesday.

I think I've mentioned I can be a news junkie--hazard left over from my School of Journalism days, I'm sure. I know I've mentioned being unable to stop watching the hurricane coverage even though it's breaking my heart. I've watched all the channels since the night before Katrina came to shore, and of all the reporters covering this disaster, the one that's impressed me most has been Shepherd Smith.

Normally, I don't watch Fox News, but that Sunday night, I flipped over and heard him broadcasting from the French Quarter. He was interesting, so during the aftermath I made an effort to see if he was broadcasting more. By Wednesday, I was watching the two hours Shep Smith was on without fail (2pm and 6pm central time). He was doing the best job out of New Orleans, IMO, of all the reporters covering the city. Last night, though, he won my admiration for good. He took on one of the more irritating anchors on Fox, O'Reilly, and gave him the facts of life about what's going on in New Orleans. Shep Smith was impassioned, knowledgeable, and it was obvious he cared about the plight of the people trapped in the city. Before this, I was only vaguely aware of who Shepherd Smith was, now I have him on my list of top reporters.

Speaking of the hurricane, if you'd like to donate, Charity Watch has a list of legitimate charities who are helping in the devastated region, and tips on how to avoid being conned by those who are using this tragedy to make a profit. Check it out at How to Help the Victims of Hurricane Katrina.

And as an incentive to get people to donate, Romance Designs is giving away autographed books to people who contribute. I sent a copy of The Power of Two off this morning for this. To find out how to give--and be entered to win an autographed book--check out Romance Designs.

MN Weather Report: 70 degrees. Huge thunderstorms heading our way.