BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

News Day

I didn't mean to not mention some of my news, but I just forgot. Blame it on being sick as heck the day the email came, and then having deadline and house stuff going on.

First on my list of news, The Power of Two finished third in the Laurel Wreath Awards. I posted on my website, but completely forgot to mention it here.

Second is another item I posted on my website, but I'm 99% sure I forgot to post on the blog. Ravyn's Flight will be reprinted to coincide with the release of Temple of Dreams in August. This is big news because the cheapest copy on Amazon is now going for $46.98 and it's an ex-library item. Those things get so banged up! I feel angered on my readers' behalfs over this price gouging, so I'm hugely excited that the people who want RF will be able to find it without paying an arm and a leg.

Third bit of news I just learned on Monday. The Power of Two is being translated into French!!! How cool is this? The part that makes it extra cool is that one of my writing buddies is a French teacher who lived in the country for a year. She's going to have her friends take pictures of it on the shelf for me and pick us both up copies. This is my first foreign translation, so I'm all excited.

House news: I picked out cabinets. I went with a Shaker Front T-Panel. It's simple and clean, which is what I like. Now I have a catalog to go through to pick out knobs and pulls and there must be half a gazillion of them. (BTW, I got lost twice on the way to the cabinet maker and ended up being 20 minutes late.)

Also picked out appliances. Stayed under the allowance for that, so that's a good thing. I went with a flat cook top, which is way cool; a built in oven with a microwave above it; a quiet dishwasher; a washer and dryer; and a refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom. I didn't think I would like that, but I wanted to take a look at it. I ended up falling in love with it. By putting the freezer below, it puts everything in the fridge itself within easy reach. No more crawling on the floor to dig things off the bottom shelf. Then, with the pull out drawer type bottom freezer, it's like having a tiny chest freezer. My parents had one of those when I was a kid. It seems like I spent an awful lot of money for not many things, but the fridge alone was over $1000. Ouch!

Work news: I found out on Monday when I got to work that my manager wants to move me over one cube--RIGHT NEXT TO LOUD VENDOR GUY! OMG! I asked him if I could move somewhere else instead, anywhere else, but he said no because they were going to squish our department together. I'm still in shock. I can hear LVG through foam ear plugs AND the ear muffs the ramp guys wear around airplane engines to protect their ears. How bad does this suck that I have to sit closer to him???