BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, December 26, 2005

Happy Hanukkah and Happy Kwanzaa

Happy Hanukkah and Happy Kwanzaa to those who celebrate!

Christmas went pretty well. My mom only teared up a couple of times. We went over to the new house and I took a lot of pictures. I also put up House Gallery Four for those who are interested. I know, I'm taking way too many pictures when I go over there, but since I go so seldom, I figure it's okay. :-) It's more interesting to me now, though, because I can see the house taking shape.

For a color report, the teal in the computer room looks cool! It looks darker in the pictures and from the hallway than it really is. When I was actually inside the room, it had this lovely, I'm-in-the-Caribbean feel to it. I think it will be great to write there. If I can only get a new desktop computer and a new desk chair. :-( My desktop is barely running and the chair (which I bought for $5 at a garage sale) isn't adjustable. If I sit there for too long, I can hardly walk when I stand up. But the room color is totally fab and one of my favorites.

The blue in the great room is slightly less intense than in the pictures, but still very blue. I don't know how long that will last before I repaint it something more subdued. The colors in my bedroom and bathroom are almost perfect, just slightly darker than I'd like, but I can live with them. The spare bedroom is a fabulous yellowy color. It's not too bright, but not too pale either. Kind of like the color of a rich stick of margarine. :-) I like it. The color in the main bath is also fabulous. This is more of a butter yellow. So, with the exception of the great room blue, I'm thrilled with my color choices. It's hard to pick out colors from those small cards.

I received a sample of the countertop I picked. Love the pattern, am totally iffy on the color. My mom thinks it will be fine, that everything else in the kitchen/great room is light so that the darker countertops will kind of be a balance. I wish I could go with the aqua color, but if I get sick of it, then what? So my mom and I decided the charcoal boomerang pattern would be fine. I wish Formica, though, had offered a light, neutral color choice.

We found a few problems while we were at the house. A couple of the cabinet doors are out of alignment, the linen closet door in my bedroom is too big and doesn't slide smoothly, and there's a paint splotch on my pretty white ceiling. Other than that, things are looking pretty good.

The rest of Christmas was pretty uneventful. My parents got me a 1GB jump drive since I'd filled the one I got last year for Christmas. :-) I love this thing and cart it with me to work when I'm writing. Now with 2, I can keep my books on one and back up other files on the second one.

To my great embarrassment, I hadn't done Christmas shopping yet, so I didn't have anything for my parents. Huge blush. I have no excuse. Even the years I was on deadline over Xmas, I managed to get them something. The only thing I can think of for my lackadaisical attitude was all the choices I had to make in December for the house. I loathe shopping and in a week, I did lighting, flooring and countertops. Anyway, once the after holiday sales crowds dissipate, I'll have to get shopping. Like I said, this is embarrassing.

I'm working on the last item on my weekend To Do List this morning, and then I'll be done with that. Yea! I've also been putting some final touches to the new website. As soon as I write a new bio, that will be good to go on Jan 1. I've tested it out in IE and Firefox and everything is looking good.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!