BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Eternal Nights Excerpt

I finally remembered it was April last night and updated my website by adding an excerpt from Eternal Nights. I've been discussing which scene to use with a friend of mine this week, but as I read through the galleys, the one to use became pretty obvious. It's from chapter 3 and it's in Wyatt's POV.

The repair person from the furniture store came out to look at the table and chairs. She was able to fix the chairs--there's some mechanism to adjust the leg height--but she agreed that the table needed to be replaced. Except she doesn't know if they have anymore of those tables and I might end up having to return the entire set. Great. After waiting months, I might have to start all over again. I'll know more on Wednesday.

My Gaelic dictionary finally arrived, but I'm going to need to return it because it is only Gaelic to English. This is the first time I've ever heard of a foreign language dictionary that only goes one direction, so when I ordered it, it never occurred to me that this one wouldn't have English to Gaelic as well. It doesn't. So another long wait proves frustrating. ;-) I ordered a couple of replacement books--this time from BN.com. I'm hoping for faster delivery from them.

I'm not a huge fan of Daylight Savings. It's going to take my body weeks to adjust to this time change. TBH, I don't care if we stay on standard time or DST, I just want the powers that be to pick one and stay on it year round.

I finished my first read through of the EN galleys yesterday. I didn't see too much, but there were a few things that jumped out at me. Today I'm going to work on the WIP, then tomorrow I'll start a more careful read through of EN. I like to go through the galleys at least three times because it's so easy to miss mistakes.

One of the things that really amazes me is how the typesetter makes some of these mistakes. I mean, I could see if it was a section that was revised from the disk I sent in, but sometimes it isn't. Like this one area it said: "arguing" Ravyn. It should have been angering Ravyn. I know that paragraph didn't change. I know it was right in my original. So how did angering become arguing?

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the job the proofreader who gets my galleys does. I miss stuff no matter how many times I comb the pages, but fortunately, I've been blessed with proofreaders who've caught most of what I've missed.

I've just read through this post and realized how choppy it sounds. Sorry, everyone. I'm blaming it on Daylight Savings. ;-) And hoping to sound smoother tomorrow.