BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Back It Up

It's all about writing right now.

Yesterday, I was working on the novella, I was on Chapter 3, and I ground to a screeching halt on page 8 in that chapter. I couldn't figure out why, not at first. I read and read the scene a few times before I located the problem. I took a wrong path on page 4 and didn't notice until I got stuck. That meant I had to delete 4 pages and start over from the point where I went astray. Damn it, I hate when that happens.

I did finish the new and improved version of chapter 3 last night and I'll move on to chapter 4 today. Yea! With a little luck, I won't make another error and I'll be able to write more than one chapter today.

The thing that's totally amazing me is how fast my page count is going. There's hardly time for anything! I cut out some character background issue stuff that I'd planned to explore because there's just not room for it. Actually, there's hardly room for the superficial issue I am using and I'm not sure I'm going to need it. I might go back and remove it on revision if it proves as unnecessary as I'm beginning to suspect it will be.

It's been interesting so far and I'm enjoying the learning experience. My biggest concern at this point is making the relationship and the HEA (happily ever after) seem believable. That's been a problem for me as a reader of novellas, which is partly why I rarely read them anymore, but now I have new appreciation for how difficult this job is! I said it before, but it's true, there's just so little room to let the story unfold.

Anyway, I finished with laundry somewhere around 11pm last night and then I was too wound up to sleep. That didn't stop me from waking up before 8am, though, and I still feel tired now even though I finished my coffee a while ago. Sigh.

It was a beautiful morning here when I went out to get the paper. Made me wish I had the deck on my house so I could take a cup of coffee outside and drink it there.