BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, September 10, 2006

He Gave His Life for Tourism

This is the same time I'm up on weekdays, yet it somehow seems worse--much worse--on a Sunday. I keep trying to remind myself that I'm doing this to see King Tut, but all I really want to do is crawl back into bed for another 3 or 4 hours.

The book signing was a little slow, but the store was tucked away in a corner of the mall with a children's play area almost right there, so there wasn't much casual traffic walking by. The assistant manager of the bookstore was hugely nice to us and I enjoyed talking with my co-signers, Michele Hauf and Lois Greiman.

I got home from the book signing as little after 2:30. The plan was to write, but at some point I turned on the TV and got hooked on a History Channel show about a 1938 hurricane that hit the Northeast United States. The people had no warning because the National Weather Service just assumed it would turn and go out to sea like they always did that far north. No radar then. A young weather guy tried to tell the old guard that he thought the hurricane was going to slam into Long Island, but they pooh poohed him and told him they had more experience than he did. Turns out the younger man was right.

I did get work done yesterday on the J9 proposal. Not as much as I would have liked and I won't get anything done today or tomorrow, I know that already. No laptop since it's such a quick trip and because I don't think my aunt would appreciate me taking over her phone line. :-/ If I can find a notepad, I'll take that with me and work on writing down some info on one story or another.

And in case you're wondering about the title to this post, it's a line from a Steve Martin song, King Tut. It seemed appropriate.