BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Happy Solstice

Yesterday was our holiday party day at work, which basically means potluck lunch for our floor. This year a lot of people participated which made it better than in years past when hardly anyone took part. Of course, we didn't come close to touching the amount of food that fifth floor brought in last week, but then I think they have much larger numbers taking part than we do. Oh, well. It's a nice break from the ordinary.

After lunch, at 1:07 while I was fighting to keep my eyes open, Loud Vendor Guy wheeled his laptop in. Sigh. Between the sound of the rolling laptop case and the loud way he walks, I can hear him as soon as he turns into the main hallway. Turns out, though, that I got an early Christmas present--LVG has a new job! In Raleigh-Durham! That should be far enough away that I don't have to listen to him. :-) One loud, obnoxious man down, one loud obnoxious man to go.

That big huge storm in the middle of the country is supposed to ruin my weather today. I went to bed early last night so I could get up early today and give myself extra driving time. This really is irritating. Can't I ever have one Christmas without expletive deleted snow on the ground? I tell you, white Christmas is highly overrated. Oh, sure, if it snowed like today and was gone by January 2nd and never snowed again, I'd probably agree with the people saying snow for Xmas, but this is Minnesota. Any snow we get now will likely still be on the ground in March! Nope, I'm dreaming of a brown Christmas and wishing really, really hard that the horrible storm stay south of me.

Today, though, is solstice. I love solstice! It means the days will start getting longer again. Oh, sure, it'll take months before it starts getting dark so early, but man, it's a huge relief to hit this day. I have a friend who lives in Anchorage who totally understands how I feel about this day. I think the two of us are the most excited out of our group, but hey, we both live north. :-)