BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Edits and Blogging

I only have three more items to work on for my edits. Only. The three spots are the biggest of everything. I was able to solve/handle all of the rest with no more than a paragraph or a sentence or two here and there. The three remaining things are bigger.

One is Deke being dazed and disoriented. I'm still mulling this one over because there's some POV and characterization concerns that I have. The other two scenes are ones I've decided to rewrite--with my editor's permission. :-) I'd like to finish item one tonight, if I can figure out how the heck to handle it and then tackle the two scenes over the weekend.

I also need to work on my dedication. These are harder to write than they appear. Still, if everything goes according to plan, I should be done with edits early and be able to get back to the book from hell, AKA the WIP.

Yesterday, I read another blog that again tells me that I blog wrong. What I'm supposed to do is pick a topic and never, ever stray from it. It's supposed to fit my brand and be entertaining. I should never write a word here that doesn't fit my topic, tone and brand. Oops!

After being mildly depressed because I just can't blog the way I keep hearing I should be doing it, I've decided that I'm not going to worry about it. Maybe I'll never get a thousand hits a day of people dying to see my on-topic and fascinating daily post, but whatever. If I had to do that all the time, I'd rarely blog at all--I know myself--besides, that would take a lot of work and take time I can't afford away from actually writing my books. What I do here is stream of consciousness, daily diary kind of stuff. If I wasn't published and I was keeping a blog, it would be just like this. I talk about what's on my mind or what happened the day before or sometimes about the writing or some aspect of what I have to do after a book is written and before it hits the shelves.

I caught a little bit of President Ford's funeral yesterday when I got home from work. It wasn't something I'd set out to watch, but I had the television on CNN, and when I flipped it on, there it was. I felt bad for his wife because she appeared exhausted and she had to endure a public spectacle of her grief. There were several points where the camera zoomed in on her face and I found that intrusive. Some things should be private.