BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Action!

I love the vernal equinox. From here on out, the days keep getting longer and I love that. When I was younger, one of my friends told me that at the moment of equinox--7:07 last night to be exact--you can make an egg stand up and stay up. I tried it and it worked. Of course, I did it on berber (sp?) carpeting so maybe the ridges helped it stand, but it was still really cool. I didn't do this last night, but I thought about it.

This morning I woke up thinking about starting a book with action. I've read a lot of contest entries over the years that have begun that way and I can't think of one that worked. Quite frankly, I didn't care what happened to the characters because I didn't know them. This morning, though, I thought about how In the Midnight Hour starts with action. I don't know if this was something that was working it's way through my subconscious or what the deal was because it wasn't anything I was actively worrying over, but I had an answer when I woke up: I don't start immediately with action.

Yeah, the first chapter has a fight scene, but I think I begin it early enough that the reader gets to know a little bit about my heroine and there's some interaction with another character before Ryne confronts her assignment. The first chapter contains a lot of world building and a lot of characterization, but it's done through action and not an info dump, so that's why I think it works.

Sometimes it amazes me what's going on in my head--especially the stuff I don't know about. ;-)

Is anyone else really tired still? I don't know if I'm still adjusting to the time change or what, but I'm still exhausted. I couldn't get out of bed this morning and now I'm typing this entry as fast as I can because I have to get ready for work in a minute. I just couldn't move. I hit the snooze as many times as I could and still laid there, not wanting to move. It's been this way all week and I'm getting tired of being tired. :-)