BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Color My World

There was just a commercial on The Weather Channel (Yes, I watch TWC) where it showed a couple looking at their white walls, then they go to Home Depot to pick out paint. It made me remember all the episodes of Designed to Sell and House Hunters that I've watched on HGTV and how many of the homes shown have these white or nearly white walls--and usually throughout the entire house! And nine times out of ten, if their walls are blank, their furniture is every bit as neutral, so it looks as if they're living in a bowl of oatmeal.

I always shake my head when I see this and think, "why are people so afraid of color?" Of course, if y'all have seen the pictures of the house I built (link is on the right to go to the house galleries), you know that I love color. Take my great room for example. The walls are largely a neutral creamy off-white color, but then I have the focal wall. That's a brilliant blue. There's a bright pink, tall vase on the floor with big orange flowers and my area rugs are very colorful and fun.

But I digress. As usual. Anyway, I don't understand why people are so afraid of color. You paint, you don't like it, you repaint. No, it's not a huge amount of fun, but it's not difficult either. Or if they really hate painting with a passion, get some color in the room through accessories, like my brilliant pink vase with the orange silk flowers or accent pillows. Something. I just can't imagine living in a house without color.

Last year sometime, I found a quiz online that told you what your decorating style is. I blogged about it at the time and included the link, but I don't have time to try to search it out. Anyway, I took it and my style was determined to be Contemporary, Modern and Asian, and after reading the definitions of those styles on the website, I have to agree, those are totally my styles.

I was able to turn the heat off yesterday, for the second time this spring, and open up the windows. It was windy and it'll be windy again today, but also 80 degrees. Yea!