BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Crude, Rude and Dangerous

The scene I needed to write yesterday was short and I could see it clearly. I figured I'd have it written in no time, only it wasn't quite that easy. The big problem was the crudity of the scene. It's in my bad guy's point of view (this is a rarity since I haven't published a book yet with this in it.) and he's thinking very crudely about sex. I rarely censor the characters, but this was just too much and I figured I'd be cleaning it up at one point or another. It's still crude, there's no doubt about that. It's just not as crude as what I saw and heard.

The language was a huge problem, so I was looking for a slang thesaurus. All the links I have to slang dictionaries didn't really help. I knew the definition of the words, I needed slightly cleaner, but still rough, alternatives. I turned up one on a site for writers, but to see the slang thesaurus I had to subscribe and it was $20 a year. :-( I finally bit the bullet and did it, but I didn't find what I needed in there. It was okay, don't get me wrong, and it might come in handy at a later point in time, but for this scene? Nope.

I finally got the thing done when I realized that I didn't have to describe every action in detail and that what I already had gave quite a clear picture of what the villain was doing. I hope. I'll have to reread it today and see what I have.