BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, August 06, 2007

Rabbit 3 - Patti 0

As you might recall, in the last episode of Rabbit Wars, my dad had fenced in my tree ring in an effort to save the flowers from vicious and unprovoked rabbit attacks. From the title of this post, you can guess that the attempt wasn't completely successful.

One of the lilies was near the edge of the fence--in fact, one of its little flower buds was sticking out a hole in the chicken wire--and that's the one that was eaten. I went down to water the flowers yesterday (no need on Saturday since it rained) and saw the fence didn't look right in one area. Closer examination revealed that it was pushed in and the bricks my dad had used to hold it down had been forced farther inside the ring. There was now a gap between the ground and the bottom of the fence.

I immediately examined my flowers and discovered that the one flower bud that had been poking out was gone. Eaten. Just an empty socket where there had once been the beginning of a bloom. Fortunately, nothing else appeared to be destroyed.

I fixed the fence and called my dad. We began to discuss the cayenne pepper suggestion. :-)

In better news, two of the buds look ready to flower! I will, of course, take pictures and post them. This will be a monumental occasion--especially considering I'm in rabbit hell.