BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

How Did I Survive Dial Up?

As God as my witness, I'll never go back to dial up ever again! (To paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara.) OMG, I had to use dial up to test load times on various versions of my banner and it was absolutely excruciating. I love broadband and I can't believe it took me so long to get it. Of course, I still believe they charge way too much, but I think I'd beg on street corners before going backward.

Anyway, the original banner took 1 minute and 30 seconds to load. Absolutely unacceptable. I messed around with gifs and jpgs and compression until I came up with what's currently loaded. I lost quality--boo--but it's loading in about 30 seconds. Still too long, but much better than the original. I'll have to mess around again over the long weekend to see if I can trim the load time some more, but for the work week, I've done as much as I can do.

This, of course, took far too much time and I didn't finish until nearly 7pm. :-(

I volunteered to approve comments on the group blog that I'm a part of and I have to say that I absolutely can't believe the amount of spam that comes through. We've heard about car sales from Socrates and assorted other dead Greek and Roman guys. Fortunately, pretty much all of it ends up in the spam folder, but good grief. Do these people not have better things to do than build spam bots to go around touting used cars? None of it makes it through, so what's the point?

My red amaryllis is growing nicely. It's really actually kind of fun because they're coming up so fast, I can see the difference overnight. When I have flowers, I'll take pictures. Of course. :-)