BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, November 19, 2007

Too Slow, Darn It

I redid the banner on my website this weekend. Unfortunately, I think it's loading far too slow for anyone on dial up. I'll have to double check that when I'm at my parents' house, but as I watch the way it loads on broadband, I can only fear the worst. I'll have to mess around with it some more and see if I can't make it smaller so that it doesn't take so long. I was too tired to do it last night.

While I was working on it Saturday night, I watched a really interesting show on the National Geographic Channel about the Galapagos Islands. They showed the different animals that call those islands/rocks home. And it made me feel hugely guilty for cheering for all the el ninos we've had. The poor seals (or were they sea lions?) and lizards who live there lost nearly 50% of their populations. Of course, the show ended with man messing up everything by coming in with their cruise ships and disturbing the creatures who call the area home.

The writing did not go well this weekend. Drat it all. The problems started with how late I slept on Saturday--I didn't get up until nearly 11:30. Not good. I dug out my extra winter blankets, washed them, got the bed all set up and had a bizarre dream on Saturday night. In it, someone was sitting on my lap while we rode in a car and I felt like I couldn't breathe. When I woke up, I realized it was probably the weight of all those blankets that triggered the dream. :-)

But back to writing. I think the problem is that I'm not 100% clear on what I want to accomplish in the scene. Oh, I have a general idea, but I think I need to sit down with my notepad and come up with a list of goals. I know how I want to end the chapter, so that's one plus. And I know some of the information I want to convey, but I'm stumbling around, trying to figure out how to get there. I guess I just need to sit down and write and worry about getting it right later.

Another plus, I might--maybe--have my heroine's name--still. I'm not ready to say it's for sure a done deal yet, not until I've written more in her POV than I have already, but I'm hopeful.