BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Torture Is Too Good For Her

The "her" referenced in the title of this blog would be my Polynesian heroine--the one who still doesn't have a name despite my spending hours (and I do mean HOURS) combing through baby name books and baby name sites. I even searched until I found a list of Miss Tahitis going back like 30 years thinking one of their names would be it. There were Miss Tahiti websites, too, that covered the last four years and I checked the names of all the contestants, but none of them made my heroine say, "that's my name."

What's really frustrating is that I'm not a writer who can use a placeholder name. The last name isn't really important, but I have to have the first name. Why can't she do what Cai and Mika did and just tell me her name? I'd even be thrilled if she gave the first letter of her name like Ryne did. But no. I get nothing.

Maybe if I could come up with something close, but while she likes Isadore, that's not her name. Neither, apparently, is any other I name.

I wanted to stay away from R, M and S names, but I gave up on that some time yesterday. I told her she could pick any name she wanted as long as it didn't start with a T. It's just too cutesy for words to have a heroine and a hero whose names both start with the same letter and he's dead set on Tane. I tried to talk him out of that a couple of weeks ago and that wasn't negotiable.

One of the websites I found said that old fashioned French names are popular in Tahiti, so I looked at French names. A gazillion French names and none of them produced a bingo moment. I'm pondering whether or not I want to comb through the entire girl's name sections in any of the baby name books I have. It doesn't sound particularly appealing, but I'm not sure what else to do at this point. If she could at least narrow it down to a few letters....