BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Author In Search of a Title. Still.

No title yet for the just finished book. I sent my editor about a dozen suggestions, but none of them grabbed her. Me either for that matter. I wanted to fall in love with a title, but I haven't found the one that's done that yet. There is one I kind of like, but it uses the word "night" and I was hoping to save that one for the next book since it'll be a pretty dark, intense story. I think.

There are still half a million things on the To Do List and I'm not tackling any of them. Maybe I need to actually write them down to make myself do them. I have email backed up, I have things to go snail mail, I have vacuuming left to do, and assorted other things and I don't feel like doing any of them. That's so bad. I need to accomplish things. Seriously.

In other news, I walked out to my garden yesterday afternoon to take a look at it. It's kind of bare on flowers right now (just one type has a bloom on it. I need to find flowers that bloom right now for next year), but I usually take a look around every day. My tree ring and garden have chicken wire around them to protect them from the killer rabbits, but I have tiger lilies next to the evergreens that are unprotected and tree lilies behind the big garden because they'll end up being too tall to be part of the garden itself.

Anyway, I'd noticed while I'd been writing that something was eating the tops off my tiger lilies. Annoying, but they were free flowers from my parents, so I wasn't too heartbroken. Then the other day, I noticed that something had eaten the bottom leaves on my tree lilies. That did not make me happy. I was even less happy when something ate the top off one of my tree lilies. It was a small lily, though, and my bigger ones had been ignored and had a lot of flower buds on them. I'd survive.

Then came yesterday. I walked down to my garden and saw the one tree lily had been eaten bare. Then I noticed the top had been eaten off the next one in line. And the next. And the next. All the way down the row to my biggest tree lily--the one that had had 6 buds on there waiting to bloom. Gone. All gone! The rabbits got the bottom leaves, the deer had taken off the tops.

Steam came out of my ears. And then I began to worry. My elodie lilies are getting ready to bloom--it shouldn't be more than a week or so now--and they're against the back side of the garden. What if the deer, now that they're used to coming up to my garden, decide to stick their heads over my fence and eat my other lilies? OMG! My dad bought liquid fence for me today and he's going to spray tomorrow. Hopefully that stinky stuff will protect my garden from evil, killer deer.