BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Write On

The vampire short story is finished--more or less--and I think it turned out okay. I had fun with the story, liked the characters, and have been assured by my writing buddy that it's "totally bitchin'." :-) That was a huge relief since this is a new length for me and I felt at sea sometimes. The thing that kind of amazes me is that I somehow managed to tell a whole story in 7800 words. I was planning to just do a peek in to their lives sort of thing, which is what others seem to do with this length, but I just wrote without any real plan and had a beginning, middle, and end. I really didn't expect that, but I'll take it. And if I can ever come up with a title that isn't a lame play on words, it'll all be good.

Now I need to make the transition back into my full-length book and I'm not finding that easy to do. I reread the last chapter I'd written, but I need to sit down and come up with chapter and/or scene goals. I'm hoping that will get my head back into Kel's story and help me focus.

The test print of Edge of Dawn (which comes out June 30th) has been proofread and the pages that need correction will be mailed back today. I only had time to read through it once and that makes me uneasy--I usually read through them three times--but my mom read through it twice for me and found a few things that I never saw.

It's pretty nice to have my writing To Do List whittled down to 1 thing. Granted, it's the biggest item of them all, but having other projects like proofreading and the short story added to my stress because they were kind of hanging there like blades from guillotines. :-) I still have too much to do and not enough time to do it in and I've been scarce online lately, but I'll manage. Somehow.