BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Fall Sleepies

It happens every fall. I call it the Fall Sleepies because once it hits, all I want to do is sleep. And after taking an informal poll at work, it seems a lot of people are experiencing this right now.

It's really not fun. I'm ready to go to bed at 7pm, and if by some miracle I actually go to sleep at that time, I still wake up tired the next morning. It always lasts two or three weeks, but while I'm in this mode, nothing gets accomplished. Cleaning house? Nope. I have mail stacked up on my center island and I try not to do that. Updating the website? No, don't feel like doing that. Answering email? Even that is too much work.

If it were up to me, I'd hibernate until this passed. No work, no writing, no internet--nothing but sleep and veg out, sleep and veg out. Of course, it's not possible. I do have the day job, writing, parents, etc that need my attention. What I do when I hit this stretch is go into triage state and handle what can't wait. Everything else sits.

Of course, when the Fall Sleepies pass sometime in the next week or two, I will be hopelessly behind and exhaust myself trying to get caught up, but there's nothing I can do about that. When this hits, it hits hard and there is no surmounting it.

Also, I'll be part of the Raven Scavenger Hunt starting in October! More info coming soon.