BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, November 03, 2011

End of the World

Yesterday while I was at work, my iPod shuffled to REM's The End of the World As We Know It and suddenly a story I thought was off the To Write list zoomed back on the radar. I'm pretty sure I mentioned the post-apocalypse romance I was researching a while back. Yeah, that one returned.

It was pretty unexpected although I had been picking up interesting bits and pieces that would help with the story over the last week or so, but it was a more distant thing. Certainly nothing like having the heroine show up and start talking. Again.

I have another story I'm supposed to be working on during my lunch at work, but this one is whispering oh, so temptingly in the recesses of my brain.

Among the interesting things about this return is that the heroine is telling the story in first person. I've had this happen before and the story has morphed into third person, but I'm getting the sense with this one that it might not make the shift. We'll see. I'm not a fan of reading first person and the idea of writing it, spending months on end trying to reduce the number of times the word I is used is overwhelming.

The other thing that was interesting was that my heroine looks completely different than I thought she did. Although, in all honesty, I did have a sense I'd picked out the wrong picture the last time around. I just didn't realize how wrong I was, though.

And just so y'all know, I did work on the story I'm supposed to be writing at lunch on Wednesday and I'll keep working on it when I can. But wow, I wish I could write more than one thing at a time.