BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Big Move

I made it to Atlanta, Georgia. I've been here two weeks now--one getting setup and one where I actually went to work at my day job.

Things still feel pretty unreal, you know? Like I'm on some kind of extended vacation. My parents are still down here and that adds to the vacation feel. I'm not sure how long it's going to take before it sinks in that this is more than an extended stay in the south. Maybe once my parents have returned to Minnesota and I'm here alone for a while.

I can say I definitely like the weather here better than Minneapolis, although it's been kind of bipolar. One day the high will be in the 60s, the next it's in the 40s. I did wear short sleeves to work four out of five days last week. Short sleeves. In JANUARY! Wild!

The one thing I dislike--okay more than dislike, hate--is the driving. OMG, it's like commuting through the middle of the Indianapolis 500! People, I have out of state plates, I'm driving in the right hand lane (a lane I rarely, if ever, used in Minneapolis), give me a break and stop tailgating me. I don't know where I'm going even with GPS. To add to my fun, the commute is about double what I had in Minneapolis. Totally not cool.

On the plus side, most of the people I've talked to have been very nice. We'll disregard the two mechanics I talked to in the elevator at work who pretended I didn't exist. They're probably not from around here anyway, right?

In other words, like anywhere you live, there are pluses and minuses in Atlanta. I'll probably have more to say later, but so far, so good.