BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Living In a Paranormal World

I have lots of worlds in my head--futuristic and paranormal--and I've imagined all kinds of scenarios for my characters. On Wednesday, though, I was asked: would I want to live in an openly paranormal world?

That was something I'd never thought about before and I discovered I didn't have a quick or easy answer.

I guess it depends on the world. My Gineal world has a race of magical people who protect humans from the things that go bump in the night. If they stopped hiding and announced their presence--yes, I could live in that openly paranormal world.

But my Blood Feud world? Maybe not. Tensions are high in this world and there are a number of different groups who are either trying to overcome centuries of mistrust and dislike to form alliances or who feel antipathy for each other. Everyone has his own agenda and not everyone is in agreement with what their leaders have chosen to do.

I'm not sure I'd want to live here. My guess is that if the paranormals living here were out in the open, humans wouldn't necessarily have an easy time of it.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there'd be humans willing to trade blood with a vampire just for the thrill of it all. I hear there are fringe groups now where people who claim to be vampires drink the blood of willing donors, but this kind of freaks me out to think about it. I mean, ew! Bloodborne pathogens? Ugh!

So I guess my answer to whether or not I'd live in an openly paranormal world is wishy washy. I'd live in a world that was safe for humans, but not one that wasn't.

The real question, though, is: Are we already living in a paranormal world, but simply don't realize it? Yet.