BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, October 31, 2013

NaNoWriMo

For those unfamiliar with NaNoWriMo, it stands for National Novel Writing Month. For the 30 days in November, people across the country will try to produce 50,000 words. This will be my sixth year participating--if I remember correctly--and I haven't reached the goal word count yet.

One year I received revisions for a book about three days into the start of NaNoWriMo, but most of the time, it's my own fault. I'm a perfectionist and I can sit and agonize over the right way to phrase something forever. This isn't what NaNoWriMo is about. It's bout writing a fast draft without worrying about plot or characters or word choice and fixing those things later.

Every year I go into it thinking this time I'll change my nature. I will fast draft. I will fix later.

And somewhere along the month, I'll lock up. My innate nature warring against what I need to do to get 50,000 words in 30 days. It gets very discouraging and I wasn't planning to participate this year, but then I thought what the heck? Maybe this year I can do it.

I'm going to try at least.

If you want to join me, you can buddy me at: http://nanowrimo.org/participants/bugalootwo