BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, December 12, 2013

It's Not Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

One of the things I've noticed since moving to Atlanta is how hard it is for me to realize it's Christmas. Basically what happens is I cruise along in blissful ignorance as to what month it really is, then suddenly it dawns on me, and I panic.

I've considered why that is and I've decided it's the weather. It doesn't feel like December to me.

I'm from Minnesota and lived there most of my life. To me, December is winter coats, hats, mittens, and probably boots. This triggers my brain to go oh, yeah, send out holiday cards and buy presents.

It doesn't get that cold in Atlanta. It's felt like October most of the month so far, and while it turned cold overnight, I still wore my fall jacket to work so it's not as if it's cold enough for me to think Christmas. So last night I had the OMG, it's almost Christmas panic set in. I ordered a few gifts, but it's barely a start.

And cards? I'm leaning toward not sending them out again this year since I can't find the cards I bought and didn't use last year. That's the worst thing about moving--I can't find a lot of things although I know they're here. Somewhere.

This does make me wonder, though, how long it will take me to acclimate to the weather down here and realize what time of year it really is.