BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Suggested For You

Google has started this new section on their News page. Suggested For You. I'm not sure I like it for a couple of reasons. First, it reminds me that they're watching where I go on the net. Yeah, I know they do it, but I prefer not to think about it. This is a constant reminder. If it were only topics I'd searched for, that would be one thing, but some of their suggestions have got to becoming from articles I've clicked through to read from Twitter or Facebook. I'm fairly sure of this.

The other thing that makes me not sure I like the feature is that the suggestions are pretty lame. I think I searched for Frozen once and ended up getting that suggested to me over and over. I clicked no, not interested, but then I clicked through on Twitter about Frozen 2 and then the suggestions for the movie were back again. :-/

Today, I had Mark Twain in the suggestions. I'm trying to think how that triggered since I can't remember reading anything about him or his work for a long time.

Before you get the impression that I totally hate it, I don't. Because I did a couple of searches to research the Work In Progress (WIP) and since then Google has offered other suggestions that I've found helpful. This is also why I haven't checked to find out if there's a way to turn this off. Having information I didn't even know I needed delivered to me is pretty awesome. I just wish it was a little easier to fine tune it.