BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, June 30, 2016

No Conflict

I'm in an odd situation right now. I have a hero and heroine without conflict.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. I don't know either one of them well enough to discover their issues.

This usually doesn't happen to me. Usually when characters make an appearance, I learn enough about at least one of them to know what their internal and external conflicts are and I can write forward until the other one coughs up the info.

I've mulled over why and I've reached the conclusion that I didn't spend enough time in what I call Pre-Book. Pre-Book is when I just spend time getting to know my h/h. I find their pictures, I find out where they live, what it looks like, sometimes I learn what kind of car/truck/SUV they drive, and any just about anything else that you can imagine. This last one depends on the characters and their story, so it's never consistent.

So my plan for this couple is to whip out the worksheets. I truly don't enjoy doing character sketch stuff and I rarely actually have to get to that, but this time I feel as if I don't have a choice. I'm not looking forward to it, but whatever works.