BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Review: Guardians of the Galaxy

***WARNING: SINCE I'M THE LAST PERSON ON EARTH TO SEE THE ORIGINAL GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY MOVIE, THERE WILL BE SPOILERS!***

Yes, I'm reviewing the original Guardians of the Galaxy movie. :-) And just in case it's necessary, I paid to rent this movie and received no compensation for this post.

I'm not much for superhero movies. About the only one I can remember liking is The Incredibles. I know people had been raving about how good Guardians was, but they were also telling me how awesome Captain America: Civil War was and I didn't like that movie at all. But the premise of Guardians intrigued me. I mean, alien abduction? Space adventure? I love that stuff!

Basically, a young boy watches his mother die from cancer in the hospital, runs outside and is abducted by aliens. That's the prologue part of the story. The main plot revolves around our earth-boy all grown up. Chris Pratt is Peter Quill who is now all grown up and totally hot. ;-) He's after an orb, but so are others, including a raccoon who has a tree for a sidekick, a green woman (Zoe Saldana as Gamora), and others.

All these people end up arrested and tossed into prison and they have to work together to escape, get the orb back, and ensure it doesn't fall into the hands of the bad guy. In prison, they pick up another member of their ragtag crew and become The Guardians of the Galaxy.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. The dialogue was snarky and fun, the adventure came fast and furious, and I loved how they used the music Peter had from Earth as a soundtrack for the film. With so many people after the same object, it was a bit like that old movie, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World where everyone was chasing after (I think) a bag of money.

I did have some problems with it. I know, huge shock. The characters could have been more fleshed out, especially Gamora. It seemed like she was just there to be the woman in the movie and wasn't as fully formed as Peter Quill or even the raccoon for heaven's sake! There was also the idea that some kind of relationship had formed/was forming between Gamora and Peter yet none of this was shown on screen and I found it difficult to believe it was anything real when it's just like, oh, yeah, I have feelings for you now.

So it was definitely better than most superhero movies for me, but not as good as The Incredibles. I'm giving it 3.25 stars out of 5 and calling it a pleasant enough way to spend a couple of hours.