BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Coffee Emergency

At work, they installed coffee machines for us and they're free! Yes, free coffee! Hurrah! These aren't those sad vending machine coffees, but a machine that allows us to brew lattes, mochas, hot chocolate, and teas in addition to regular coffee. There are a couple of other options I forget, too. We install a pod, the coffee brews, and automatically dumps the pod. This is beyond awesome.

Except for one thing: Our coffee machine has been down more than it's been running.

In two weeks, I think the machine has been up and running maybe three days. Possibly four, but I'm thinking only three. Insert sad face here. The coffee is decent and its quick and great if I don't want a jumbo cup--when it's working of course.

As far as I know, our machine is the only one that is down constantly like this. We've all started walking over to the next nearest machine. On Friday, they were cleaned out of coffee pods, or nearly so. When I went over in the afternoon, there were a few hazelnut flavored coffee pods left, a ton of decaf and tea, and one French vanilla flavored one. I grabbed that one. Yes, we'd even cleaned out the stash of coffee stored in the cabinets.

The biggest issue, of course, is all the extra people walking over there. The other part of the problem, though, is that the supplies are only being replenished every two weeks and the airline industry drinks a lot of coffee. I'm sure I remember reading about a survey of which professions drink the most coffee and aviation being on there right along with writers/editors. :-) Double whammy for me!

So with the coffee supply dwindling rapidly and one machine down, we are in the midst of a coffee emergency at work. Good thing I have some K-Cups stashed and that they haven't taken those machines out.