BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

They ARE Demons!

Mika and Conor have decided to make me insane.

Okay, so anyone who knows me realizes my characters do this to me in every book. It's why my motto is; Torture the characters before they torture me. But these two have put me in my own very special kind of hell.

I hate writing sex scenes. It's such a damn juggling act. Not only do I have to get the emotional reactions in there, I also have to deal with the physical stuff and I have to watch the language. Those stupid euphemisms make it so hard! I don't like to use them, and I can't use the harder words either. So I write and rewrite and rewrite some more.

So what have these characters done? Well, they're so sexually fixated on each other that I'm doing more scenes than I've ever written in one book that revolve around this attraction. No, they haven't done it yet and won't do it for a few more chapters, but they're getting closer. Conor is still resisting, bless his heart, but Mika is, well, Trouble! She is brazen and I think some readers are going to have trouble with how shameless she is. She has no hangups about her body or about having sex with Conor. And she has no qualms about touching herself to tease him or about making references to bringing herself off in the shower. (I haven't actually written this part yet, but I think it's how the scene closes. She says it to Conor to drive him insane.)

Is this what I signed up for when I decided to write?

The thing is, I'm never sure if I write hot sex scenes or not and I need this book to be hot since that's the mood of the characters. But if I'm shooting for erotic and hitting stupid instead, that's not a good thing.

I didn't make my page count again yesterday. I went to bed. Not early enough, but earlier than I have been making it. I feel better today and hope that means I can get a lot of writing done. I may have to sacrifice Thesaurus.com and write without logging on. I seem to be having trouble with the screwing around online thing. :-(

I also need to come up with some powers for my hero and heroine. I know two of Conor's powers and I know general demon stuff like unnatural speed, hearing, shapeshifting and illusion, but Mika is mum. Of course, demons don't talk about their powers which is probably why she isn't telling me, but I really, really, really need to know everything they both can do soon.