BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, January 17, 2005

Dilemma

Okay, so here's the thing. I'm writing this scene and recapping something that happens offstage. It's not a huge deal, but if I were a reader and I didn't hear what happened, I'd be looking to see if I'd missed pages. On the other hand, it's not that big a deal and I hate to waste a page or two on it, although it does reveal characterization and a bit about the state of the relationship between Conor and Mika. So I'm torn.

I have thought of the third alternative--to be really sketchy--however if I were the reader, I'd want the details I've put in. Guess I'll finish writing it and see how it fits in overall to the story. I can always cut later. Write and cut. Sigh.

I printed out all the finished chapters for Crimson Gate this weekend and I'll start reading through them tomorrow. I haven't reread anything since I finished chapter 2, I think, so this might be scary. Usually, I reread a lot more than this, but I just haven't had time. And yeah, I know I shouldn't be here posting again, but I'm thinking and sometimes it helps to think out loud. So to speak. :-)

Speaking of thinking, I've had my paranormal on my mind lately. My other paranormal since I guess CG qualifies in this category too. It's at least a book and a quarter down the road since I have to finish CG and the spin off from my first book (I call it RFS for Ravyn's Flight: The Sequel, but that's not the title I turned it in with. Um, that's another joke title, Temple of Dreams as in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I hate coming up with names for books. But I digress.)

Okay, so I've been thinking about my paranormal. I totally love this story. I came off Power of Two completely burnt out, I mean I was toasted, but Ryne had been talking to me for weeks as I pushed to finish TPOT. (Fortunately, not interfering with the writing of TPOT.) All I wanted to do was crash after I mailed that book off. And I couldn't. Ryne pushed hard, so instead of resting like I should have, I was sitting with the laptop, writing. Once I got about four pages or so down, then I was able to take a couple of weeks off, but I was right back on this story immediately afterward.

I've never had a story pushing at me like that. Maybe it's because Ryne is over-the-top kick-ass. That's her issue. But there's some great stuff between her and her sister too. And her learning to stand with someone instead of always in front of them, defending them. See? I'm getting excited about this story again and it's at least a year out, minimum. Plus, I want to finish revising my romantic suspense proposal too. I've been wanting to write this story for more than 10 years. So many stories, so little time. :-(

And on that note, back to thinking about CG.