BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Theme Songs

If y'all have visited my website, you know I pick a theme song for each book. It wasn't something I set out to do, it kind of happened by accident. As I was revising my first book before I submitted it, I was playing a DEVO CD in my car and this song came on, Girl U Want. The lyrics just hit me and seemed to fit the book square on the money. From then on, I found Ravyn's Flight and Girl U Want entwined in my mind and when I put together my trivia page, it seemed right to include it. (Link to Lyrics)

I deliberately went searching for a theme song for The Power of Two. It took me a while to find one that fit and even then, it was the title more than the actual lyrics that worked for me. I heard this in the car too, on the 80s radio station I love so much: Corey Hart's Never Surrender.

Finding the song for Crimson Gate didn't take any effort on my part at all. :-) It was just there from the start; I didn't even have to turn on the radio. Again, it's the title, not the lyrics that fit. T-R-O-U-B-L-E by Travis Tritt. And that's exactly how Conor thinks of Mika.

I already have the theme song for my fourth book. That one kind of came on it's own too, although I had to dig the CD out of my collection since I didn't remember the words exactly. Never Tear Us Apart by INXS fits to a tee, but I don't know if in the book I'll ever explain exactly why it fits. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'm not even close to getting back to this story right now.

BTW, on book 4, I'm very interested to see what the title ends up being since I never came up with a "real" title. I call it by one "joke" title and I turned it in with a second one. Have I mentioned how terrible I am at titling my books? It's complete torture.

Edited to add: Am I repeating myself? I just had this terrible sense that I'd picked this topic before. Ah, well. Whatever. I have to go to the day job. :-(

MN Weather Report: 27 degrees. Wind Chill: 18 degrees. Forecasted high: 36 degrees.