BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, April 04, 2005

Back In the Saddle

I read through the first 50 pages of the spin off book yesterday and did some tweaking to fill in the blanks--hopefully--for people who never read the first book. It's hard to divorce myself from the info in the first book and think about what needs to be weaved in this one. It's also difficult to avoid an info dump, but I think I did okay. I hope. I've done some cutting and rearranging, but I'm thinking I need more description of the Old City.

I may have mentioned this before, but I loathe description. :-/ As a reader, I don't want much of it because I build the world in my head and I don't like it when the author intrudes on my vision. This spills over into my writing and I tend to be sketchy, but I've learned there are people who like this kind of detail. =8-O It's a constant struggle for me to strike some kind of balance--enough to make the detail people semi-content and not so much that I can't stand it. :-)

Anyway, I made it through the first 50 pages yesterday, although I'll want to reread the second chapter since I was getting pretty sleepy as I worked on it. I also need to go through chapter 3 before I resume writing this story. It's going to be weird dragging the laptop to work again. I haven't done it for three weeks.

MN Weather Report: 52 degrees.