BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, April 28, 2005

My Highest Rated Reads

I keep track of all the books I own in a database, and when I read them, I make notes and give them my own personal score using a scale of 1-10. Interestingly enough, there are only ten books that I've ever given a perfect score to. The other interesting thing is that I've never reread some of these books although I have books I rated lower that I read and reread. Go figure.

Without further ado, here are my Top Ten Highest Rated Fiction Books. (Presented in alphabetical order by author's surname.)

  1. Errant Angel by Justine Davis Silhouette Desire #924 1995 - This is a book I haven't reread. This is a paranormal read--the heroine is an angel and the hero is human.
  2. The Skypirate by Justine Davis Futuristic Romance 1995 - This book I have reread over and over. It's my favorite futuristic of all time and one I recommend to anyone who hasn't read futuristic before. Dax is hot and I love how Ms Davis redeemed Califa. This book still sits on my bookshelf within easy reach.
  3. Quinn Eisley's War by Patricia Gardner Evans Silhouette Special Edition #493 1993 - This is another book I haven't reread, but I remember it well. I was reading it on a flight to Chicago and I didn't want the plane to land! I sat at my aunt's house and didn't stop reading until I finished this book. I heard there was supposed to be another book with this h/h, but I'd be happy to see anything else from this author. Her books are tremendous.
  4. A Suitable Match - Joy Freemen Regency Romance 1980 - I almost never read historicals, and when I do, they're never regencies, but for some reason I picked this one up when I was at the library. I never, ever, buy hardcover, but I returned the book to the library and went on the hunt for a copy of this story. It's laugh out loud funny and the relationship between the hero and heroine was so much fun!
  5. Lake of Dreams Novella by Linda Howard in the Everlasting Love anthology 1995 - Most novellas leave me frustrated because the author doesn't have enough room to unfold her story. However, Linda Howard wrote what, in my opinion, is the most perfect anthology story ever. Lake of Dreams involves reincarnation--which Howard handled beautifully and a hero and heroine who share dreams about their past lives. I reread this story so often, I had to buy a backup copy of the book.
  6. Time Was by Nora Roberts Silhouette Special Edition #313 1989 - The hero is a pilot who flies cargo between planets in the future. He's accidentally hurtled back through time and rescued by the heroine. Technically, I guess this is a time travel, but it had a lot of futuristic elements in it, which delighted me. I found Nora Roberts late (but not real late, thank goodness!) and had to hunt down her backlist. This was one of them and I'm glad I found a copy! (Link is to version of the book that includes the spin off with the hero's brother.)
  7. Hurts So Good by Olivia Rupprecht Bantam Loveswept #580 1992 - I haven't seen a book by Ms Rupprecht under her own name or the Mallory Rush pseudonym in a long time. I hope she's still writing! This book had incredible sexual tension. It's one I haven't reread, but it did make this author a must-buy for me.
  8. If Tomorrow Comes by Sidney Sheldon Contemporary Fiction 1985 - This book has a premise I absolutely adore. The heroine was sent to prison for a crime she didn't commit. While she's locked up, she makes plans to get revenge on the mobsters that sent her to prison and killed her mother. She becomes a con artist and a thief to do this and continues her new career even after she accomplishes her goal. This book has a very strong romance in it and it covers one of my favorite things--cat burglars. Ever since I saw reruns of It Takes a Thief, I've been enamored with the idea. Mr. Sheldon did a fabulous job with this story.
  9. Ashes In the Wind by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss Historical Romance 1979 - Is there anyone who's read romance who hasn't read Ms Woodiwiss? The heroine had to flee her home to get away from the Yankees during the Civil War. She's a rebel through and through, but there's a certain Union doctor she can't resist. I can never decide which Woodiwiss is my favorite, Ashes In the Wind or....
  10. Shanna by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss Historical Romance 1977 - I didn't read these books when they first came out, but they were the first romances I read--or among the first. In Shanna, the heroine needs a highborn husband for her father, so she picks a condemned man in England who has the right name and marries him, believing he'll be killed. Only a greedy jailer sells him to work as an indentured servant on the island estate owned by the heroine's father.

So this is my top ten list. Some of these books are still favorites, some I remember why they were favorites and a few, I wonder if I'd love as much now as I did when I first read them. Anyone else want to post their favorite fiction titles?