BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Friday, April 22, 2005

Wasp Update

Subtitle: And other life annoyances.

I'm very happy to report that the exterminating company said that it's far too early for wasps nests! These are queen wasps who are just waking up, somehow find their way into the house through small cracks, and then are trying to get outside to build nests. Apparently, they've been getting a lot of calls from people in my area who are finding 3, 4, and even 5 wasps in their houses. The woman said that in a week or so, this should all be over with. Hurrah!

Now on to the other life annoyances. :-) My trusty 80's radio station changed their format yesterday. They're now Jack 104--I'm guessing they picked this name because they hijacked my radio station. This is what they say about the new format on their About Page:

Welcome to the New 104.1 Jack FM. It's a new generation of radio station for the Twin Cities.

What is Jack?

Jack in the Twin Cities is a dramatic change from traditional radio formats. You told us that you are tired of stations that play the same 300 songs over...and over...and over.

104.1 Jack FM is playing what we want...the best songs from the 70s, 80s, 90s, right up through today no matter where you first heard them. Just listen, it's like your iPod on shuffle.

Join Jack as we blast away the traditional rules of radio with something different.

It's fun, it's fresh, it's what the Twin Cities has been looking for.
Um, I believe THEY were the ones who decided to play the same 300 songs over and over, and that they could have expanded their play list at any time, but that's not the point. This new format is very jarring. To go from "You spin me right round, baby, right round" to some hard-edged 1970s song is annoying. We have stations here who excel in mixing the music of the 70's through today and this station is not joining those ranks.

Now for my problem. I have to find a new radio station for the alarm clock. I'm not finding anything I like. Do they make MP3 alarm clock radios? Then I could rip my CDs into MP3 format and wake up to my own selection of tunes.

As for the commute, it's a darn good thing I have a large CD collection. I'm going with the Boomtown Rats for today. I love The Fine Art of Surfacing.

MN Weather Report: 49 degrees.