BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Change of Weapons

The wasp and I still share living space. I'm not sure it knows I exist, but I'm very much aware of it. I came home yesterday and armed myself in the garage before entering the house. It's been gray and gloomy here, constantly raining, so I flipped on the kitchen light and cautiously headed to the computer room. Only to find my new housemate flying near the ceiling when I returned to the kitchen.

Unfortunately, he remained mostly near the kitchen light, circling among the three light bulbs and I never had a good bead on it. That didn't stop me from taking a shot. With the spray starch. My weapon jammed before it fired and then the starch certainly didn't spray very far. I got a little on him, but not enough to take him down. I've switched to hair spray. Hair spray is an amazing weapon and kills bugs, especially spiders, particularly well. This is the chief reason why I've stopped using it. Anything that's toxic, even to bugs, might not be the best thing to be spraying on my head. :-/

No open shots once I changed weapons. The wasp has gone to ground again and I don't know where he is. I wasn't quite as tense last night, although I did wake up at 1am enough to realize that, at some point, I'd put my glasses on and was sleeping in them. I'm guessing I did that so I'd be able to see the bastard coming. I know, I know, wasps don't come out when it's dark. But this is a mutant wasp that thinks my house is its new home. Who knows what this evil insect is capable of?

I need more info from the exterminator on this situation. I'm not sure if this wasp is going to gain energy or if it'll grow more sluggish trapped indoors. I am not happy.

To add to my pain, I grabbed the wrong instant coffee and didn't realize it till I started smelling cinnamon. It's not hideous, but I don't like it. Still, it's COFFEE, God's gift to humankind, and I'm not going back in the kitchen to make a cup out of my regular choice.

MN Weather Report: 57 degrees. Rain.