BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Internet Addiction

I think it might be possible that I might have a teensy weensy little problem with internet addiction. I always have coffee, check my email and do my blog post before I get going for the day. So yesterday I wake up, make my coffee and I'm all prepared to read email when I have no dial tone. (yes, I'm still on dial up.) I've had one phone line go out before while the other was fine, but when I checked, both were out.

Okay, I can deal with this. The construction going on behind the house must have cut something, they know about it and surely it'll be fixed shortly. But after my shower, there was still no phone. I got on my cell and called the phone company. After answering half a million questions, I'm informed that I'll have the phone back by 8pm--on SUNDAY! =8-O

I'll get a lot of writing done today, I tell myself. This is actually a good thing. But by the time I get off with the phone company and get ready to work, it's noon.

I can't concentrate. I keep getting up to check if the phone is working yet or not. I alternate with getting up to peer out the window to see if the phone guy is parked out in front of the house. "Come on, phone guy." I sit down, I try to work. I decide to take the dishes out of the dishwasher and put them away. And since I'm up anyway, I might as well check the phone. Nope, still dead. "Come on, phone guy."

Just before 4pm, I can't take it any more. I know the library closes at five. I put on a pair of shoes, grab my purse, and drive over. "Do you have internet access available?"

Maybe they sensed my desperation. Maybe it was the wild look in my eyes or the disheveled hair. The librarian led me right to the computer. Ahh!

First thing I do is check email. All my many accounts. Then I post my adventures from the day before. I run through some of my regular sites and recheck email. I've got 25 minutes till the library closes and I don't want to leave the computer even though I have no other site left to surf to. But... But... But... How can I leave my friend, the computer?

I force myself to logoff. I tell myself that I can come back tomorrow if I need to. I tell myself that I'd have to leave in 25 minutes anyway. On my way back home, at the end of the street, there are 3 phone trucks. "Come on, phone guys." I try to work, but I'm still getting up to check the phone frequently.

Finally, sometime after 7pm, I have a dial tone. I immediately logon the internet. Yeah, I think I'm addicted. All right, I know I'm addicted. I'm just not sure I want to do anything about it.

MN Weather Report: 51 degrees.