BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, June 27, 2005

Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot!

I shouldn't complain about the weather, but it's so damn humid right now, it's darn near unbearable. One of the DJ's I used to listen to years ago called it EIEIO weather--Extremely Icky, Extremely Icky, Oppressive. I have no air conditioning, and with only about 2 hours of sleep last night, maybe less, the last place I should feel like going is work. But work has AC! And this message will self-destruct before the onset of the next Minnesota winter and anyone who reminds me of this post will be ignored. ;-)

Instead of reading my galleys, like any sane person would be doing, I continued to rip more music onto my MP3 player. I think I have about 2800 songs on there now, maybe a little more, and I'm almost done with my CD collection. This leaves me lots of room for future growth which is a good thing.

I also spent some time adding things to the Crimson City Blog. What can I say? I love playing with web stuff and I have a new playground now. I'm trying to stop. Plus, I had Mika posting yesterday. Um, her voice isn't coming through at all. It's glaringly apparent as I read through galleys. I might be the one writer in the world thinking about writing in third person, then changing it to first person to get a better grip on her heroine's voice. :-/ How weird is that?

BTW, have I mentioned that Conor absolutely refuses to participate despite the fact I signed him up? I'm querying male secondary characters now to see if one of them can be enticed to share the Crimson City side of things. I have one that might be convinced.

I did finally start going through the page proofs around, oh, 4pm or so. I'm hugely relieved that it reads as well as it does. There are a couple of paragraphs that I'm not happy with, but paragraphs as opposed to pages/scenes/chapters is minor. :-) But as I read through I was reminded of just how much I love Mika and Conor. The two of them together are just so...I don't know? Special?

Jake and Cai were sweet together. Ravyn and Damon too, although in a different way. But Mika and Conor are more in some indefinable way. Maybe it's because Conor's so scarred and Mika's so full of life. I don't know, but I have to read through the galleys a few more times before I send them back, so maybe I'll figure it out.

MN Weather Report: 81 degrees. Heat Index: 83 degrees. Very Humid.