BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Annual Shopping Expedition

I loathe shopping.

Because of this, I mostly order stuff online or off QVC. But once every year, I brave the actual stores and shop for real. It's always at the end of June or in July because the RWA National Conference is held at the end of the month. If it wasn't for the conference, I'd probably never shop in a store at all.

So yesterday was the day. And I ended up buying way more--and spending way more--than I expected to. I guess I can't complain too much since I never shop and certainly some of my clothes needed replacing. I think my favorite polo-style shirts are like 3 or 4 years old now. Why can't the stuff just last forever? And look brand new and in style? Then I wouldn't have to shop at all and I'd be happy as a lark. :-)

On the plus side, I'm basically done now. Oh, I still need a pair of black flats and a couple of other little things, but for the most part, I won't have to shop again for another year. :-) Hurrah!

I'm still slogging through the galleys for TACV. My goal is to finish the mark-ups today, hopefully early enough to do the spreadsheet this evening, then I can go outside tomorrow and play! I miss going outside. That's the one thing about writing, it's impossible to see the laptop screen in the bright sunlight. I used to live outside in the summers. Before I sold RF. Now I'm ghost white all summer long. Sigh.

Anyway, galleys. Sigh. I prefer simple little dialogue tags like "said" and "asked." However, I noticed as I'm reading through, that my characters now have dialogue tags like "hissed" and "grunted." In fact, they're "hissing" a lot. I can only hope that it leaps out at me more because it's my book and that readers aren't going to wonder if my h/h have lisps. Huge sigh. I'm not changing any of them, though, because there are a lot of other changes that are more important to me. Keep your fingers crossed that I get most, if not all, of the ones that I mark as critical on the spreadsheet.

In other news, I've pared my online, mini-putt golf score down to 37 strokes--my personal best.

MN Weather Report: 68 degrees. It's getting humid again.