BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Sunday, August 28, 2005

New Orleans On My Mind

In 2001, the RWA conference was in New Orleans. It was my first trip there, and I loved the city. It was beautiful and fun and friendly. The hotel RWA was based in was across the street from the French Quarter, and we spent a lot of time over there, walking around, shopping, having our fortunes told, watching the street performers. I even had my own personal perfume created for me. It didn't take long for New Orleans to become one of my very favorite cities, a place I planned to visit again.

Now, as I sit here, watching this huge hurricane lurking off the coast, I wonder how much of New Orleans will be left after Katrina is finished. I try to remind myself that New Orleans is a very old city, that she's withstood other hurricanes and come through. I worry about all the people there, the ones that may not be able to get out--the poor, the elderly. If even half of the dire events they're predicting come to pass, things are going to be ugly.

I stayed up late last night--too late--and when I went to bed, wind speeds on Katrina had jumped from 115 mph to 145 mph, certainly more than bad enough. But this morning when I got up, I heard 175 mph--whoa. They're saying they don't see significant weakening. They are predicting a lot of flooding too.

So New Orleans--and the people there--are on my mind and in my prayers. I can only hope for the best.