BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Monday, October 03, 2005

Forgotten and Gone

I get some of my best ideas while I'm lying in bed, half awake. Like on Saturday night, I figured out how I wanted to end the chapter I was working on. Or Sunday morning when I came up with what I wanted to do in both scenes in the next chapter. I got up early on Sunday, had coffee and got to work writing the final 5 pages. Hurrah! I took a shower, returned to the keyboard and prepared to work on the next. Only my memory of what I'd decided to do was gone. Completely, totally, utterly gone!

I tried laying down, closing my eyes and thinking about both scenes. Nothing came to me. I screwed around for a little while since I didn't have a clue any longer what I wanted to do next. I meditated. I tried writing a little bit. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

It was very frustrating. I did some more thinking, came up with something else I could write. It wasn't my original idea, but that wasn't going to come back to me. I did manage to write the whole scene. When I have some time, I'll have to reread and see if it's okay.

Total production for the day despite the severe memory lapse was an impressive 16+ pages. Like I said yesterday morning, 8 pages is normally a good day for me, so I'm excited about this!

Now I'm tired. Well, I'm always tired when I have to get up at 4am, but this is a different kind of tired than usual. I don't mind. Not really. But it sure would be nice to stay home and keep writing.

MN Weather Report: 75 degrees. Humid.