BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

At Long Last

I've been struggling with the WIP, I think I've mentioned that a few times already, but I've been writing anyway, getting it down one agonizing sentence at a time. Yesterday, though, I felt as if I made some progress during lunch. But as I'm booting down the computer, Ryne informs me that she would never act the way I have her behaving. This would be the character that's been noticeably absent and hasn't offered me any help at all. Since I write by "listening" to the hero and heroine, her silence has been a major reason why I'm having trouble. I told Ryne if she had any complaints, maybe she'd like to get her butt over here and help. :-) If she wasn't going to participate, we were doing things my way.

I'm guessing things should go a little bit smoother now because when I was rewriting yesterday evening what I'd done at lunch, she was offering some guidance. The connection still isn't as tight as I'd like, but it's better than what I had before, which was nada.

I finished judging my GH entries. All I have left to do is record the scores (I wrote them on the front page of the entry) and fax it back to RWA. I'm going to try to take care of that this afternoon when I get home from the day job.

Lots of news about the house going on right now. Yesterday, it looked like a party as I drove by. The brick guy came and put up the outside stone--including a really cool engraved address stone that the builder got for me. Cool! The painters were there, and so was the guy who laid the tile in the master bath. And then there were the guys putting down the countertops.

It's a darn good thing my dad was there to keep an eye on these guys. He pointed out the garbage in the center island--if you read Sunday's blog entry, you'll remember there were pop bottles, a can, masking tape, a protective face mask and assorted other things dropped behind the island in a place completely inaccessible from the front.

So my dad asked the guy to take the garbage out. He removed the pop bottles and can only. Left the rest of the junk. When my dad mentioned it, the guy's response was, "That don't hurt nothing." He wasn't going to remove the other stuff. My dad said he went home, got the kitchen tongs, and went back over to dig the stuff out. He was having a heck of a time, but the younger of the countertop guys finally helped him.

I can't even believe they were going to leave garbage back there. Can you imagine if my dad hadn't checked on them? I bet they would have left the pop bottles too--some with a little pop still in it--then later on, I could be wondering what that smell was, or maybe I'd be wondering why I had such a problem with ants in the new house. Shudder.

Anyway, my dad said he'd head over today with my digital camera and take pictures, so hopefully I'll have some to share. I'm really curious how the countertops look since the only two house decisions that have left me second guessing has been the kitchen counters and the bathroom vanity top.

Someone outside the romance community blogged about the Crimson City Residents' blog last night. Either he totally didn't get that it's characters from the fictional world posting or he's playing dumb. It drove a small amount of traffic to the site, though, and maybe someone will be intrigued enough to check out the books, which certainly isn't a bad thing.