BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Baby, It's Cold Outside

I've been a little spoiled by the weather so far this winter. We've been far warmer than usual, but not this morning. Brrr. It's 8 degrees with the wind chill. BTW, blog entry title is courtesy of a Dean Martin song I listened to many times around Christmas.

Dean Martin was my first celebrity crush. I was nine, my leg in a cast because I'd broken my ankle, and late one night, "Artists and Models" came on. I think Jerry Lewis might have been in it too, but my eyes were glued to Dino. It wasn't until much, much later that I found out how old that movie was, and how much older he was than me. It didn't stop me, though, from having a soft spot for him the rest of my life. I still regret that I never was able to see him perform live.

Lately, I've been thinking that the old days were far more glamorous, at least as far as Hollywood and celebrities go, than they are now. I'm not someone who lives in the past, I don't even care for historical romance with very few exceptions, but somehow, the era of the Rat Pack just seems so much cooler than what we have now. Back then they had Movie Stars--capital M, capital S. Now we just have movie stars.

What makes my wondering this even weirder is that I'm not much into the celebrity stuff. Occasionally, I'll flip to Entertainment Tonight, and no one can live in this society without seeing stuff on the regular news about celebrities, but there just doesn't seem to be the cache to these people that say Dean Martin or Cary Grant had. Part of it is no doubt the way the press covers things today as opposed to years ago, but still...

I'm not quite sure why I went off on this tangent, or even why I've been thinking about this off and on for the past few weeks. Sometimes the mind can be a scary place. :-)