BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Saturday, February 11, 2006

One of Those Days

Any day that starts out with 3 hours of sleep is not going to be a fun one. Then the universe decided to add a few other issues just to make my day extra challenging.

I'll leave out the driving parts--Twin Cities drivers are rude and far worse than Chicago drivers-- and I'll omit the work stuff since that would take too much explanation to make sense and isn't all that interesting anyway. Let's just say that the drive in and what I found on my desk when I arrived didn't signal that it was going to be a stellar day.

Here's where I wrote off the entire day. I logged in to my computer, went into the break room to get some water and as I'm waiting, I decide to clean my glasses. As I'm rubbing the lens, they snap in two--the break happened right in the center of the nose bridge thing. Fortunately, I had a pair of contacts in my desk. Because I was so tired, I wasn't sure how I was going to get them in or how well my eyes would like them, but there were no other viable options. What else was I going to do? Wrap scotch tape around the nose piece?

Of course, I can't just order a new pair of glasses. I haven't had an eye exam in probably 3 years, maybe a little longer, so I had to make an appointment for one of those. Fortunately, the optometrist was willing to squeeze me in at 3pm and I have new glasses on order--they'll take about a week with a rush on them.

I went to Sears who had a $99 sale on. Only because I wanted the ultra light lenses, and decided to try the antiglare coating because of the time I spend on the computer writing, I ended up spending 2 1/2 times that amount. The only plus is that my health insurance actually covered the eye exam so I only was responsible for a copay.

So I had to dig out my old glasses when I got home. Um, I'd forgotten just how bad these things are. Since I rarely wore glasses, my previous pair is probably from the mid to late 1990s. Whenever the last time those really BIG lenses were in style. I put them on and about shrieked in horror. I looked like Harry Carey! (The late Harry Carey was a broadcaster for the Chicago Cubs.) There is even a caricature of Harry with those huge glasses at or near Wrigley Field. Gah! I'll have to make sure never to go out of the house without my contact lenses in.

The day wasn't too bad from the time I got home on, except because of the three hours of sleep and all the running around I had to do after work, I had no energy or brain power left for revisions. As soon as I get off here, shower and dress, I'm driving over to the new house with my laptop and all my other paraphernalia to work.

Then, just as I'm logging off the internet to go to bed, I look down at the heating pad and notice I can see bare electrical stuff on the cord. Because of how I sit and work on the laptop, my back usually tightens up, and I use the heating pad a lot. Now I'm without a heating pad and that's not good.

It was an absolute relief to turn out the light and crawl under the covers.