BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Today's the Day

I close on the house this morning. It seems hard to believe that this day is here. In some ways, it seemed to take a long, long time. In other ways, I'm like: whoa! I'm kind of excited, but I just want everything to go smoothly so that I can just have a stress-free experience.

Of course, there are still things that haven't been done. As far as I know, the cabinet guy has yet to make an appearance to put in the pull outs. Although it is possible that my dad (my own personal construction supervisor) just didn't tell me about it. The guy who was supposed to install the shower door rescheduled for this afternoon--after the closing. Everything else, though, should be done. I had a list. :-)

I received the first 394 pages of my copy-edited manuscript of Eternal Nights. For some reason, the remaining 66 pages didn't get included, but those are being sent out. I read through the part I did have, and aside from one exchange between my hero and his chief warrant officer, nothing was cut or changed that was an issue for me. (And while I mourn the loss of the 4 or 5 paragraphs of joking dialogue, my editor was right; I didn't need them.)

I was able to keep pretty much all the places I used f**k and c**k, so that elated me. (I think I lost one f**king temple reference, but that's it.) I'd gotten those words in when I wrote Crimson Veil, but I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it in a non-series book. There really isn't much swearing in the book, just a little every now and then. I also kept something I put in the love scene that I thought might be cut out. I almost did a happy dog dance when I saw that survived. :-)

I still have a lot of work to do on revisions and I'm still having difficulty focusing. I'm seriously considering locking myself in the house after I close and working there. I'd have room to spread all my papers out on the island and no distractions. Of course, I'd have to pack up some kind of table to haul over and my laptop, but there isn't much to mess around with over there.