BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Best Laid Plans

Yesterday I bailed out of here early because of the snow. I needed the extra time to get to work. The weather was terrible! Snow was blowing and visibility was poor. There were a few moments where I wondered if I'd see the highway before I was on it, but everything went okay. And once I was on the freeway, visibility improved since hills were blocking the wind. That's kind of where things went south.

I only went about a mile before traffic in both lanes of the freeway came to a complete and utter standstill. No one was going anywhere. After sitting for about 10 minutes, I knew even if it cleared out in the next few minutes, I wouldn't make it to work on time. I was very close to home, so I called in and took a vacation day. And then I sat. And sat. And sat.

I could see the flashing lights from where I was, so I must have been fairly close to the accident, but I have no clue what happened. For 45 or 50 minutes, we sat there. I heard traffic report after traffic report and not one mentions that a major freeway is closed, but no one is moving.

Finally, at 6:09 (I'm supposed to start work at 6am) one lane of traffic opens up. Still couldn't see what had happened since it was largely cleared out by then. I went to the next exit and went home. Crawled back into bed and slept till 11am. Yikes! I didn't want to sleep so long. The plan was to really kick on the writing, but apparently I was tired.

When I finally did get up, I trashed the entire chapter I was working on and started the scene over. It went better, I think, but I wish I'd gotten farther than I did.

What a wild and exciting life I live--parked on the freeway. Sigh. Anyway, I need to leave a little earlier today too since it's hard to say what the roads are like this morning. Side streets still looked pretty bad yesterday evening.