BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Wheel Spinning

I trashed the scene I was working on for the third time and came to the conclusion that it just isn't going to work. It's boring and doesn't highlight what I find fun about this book--namely Ryne's determination (or stubbornness) and the fireworks between her and Deke. The problem is that there's a key piece of information that this scene is supposed to supply and it sets up the entire urgency of the storyline.

I have another scene, though, that's been teasing at my mind now that I'm daydreaming my book again. (I missed this! Why did I let life cut me off from this?) I'm going to write that, then see where I can pop in the information I need. I have an idea, but I need to write other stuff before I try that.

This book has held a few surprises for me. First, my heroine hints at something that I knew nothing about. Although it was in one of the versions of the scene that got cut and I have no clue exactly what she was hinting about. Second surprise was how much Scottish Gaelic I need. I ended up ordering a dictionary that's supposed to have some modern words in there, so I'm hoping that includes what I want to use. If not, I'll have to come up with some reason why the language is butchered. :-/

This is the first weekend in a while that I have nothing I need to do except write. I'm hoping to get a lot done.