BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Friday, April 14, 2006

Multi-Tasking

I am so busy right now, I don't know which way is up. I've delegated what I can, but there's only so much I can hand off. Yesterday was one of those days where I didn't get even five minutes to just sit and do nothing--I still feel exhausted.

My goal was to get my galleys ready to mail back today. I read the them twice since I received them and had my mom read them through once. She, BTW, found some missing words that I totally missed, so this was a good thing. Honestly, my brain just inserted the word for me as I read. So I added her markups, put post it notes wherever I made a change, then went to the desktop computer to work on a spreadsheet. Do not get me started about the relic. Grrr. That thing seriously needs to be replaced, but that's another story.

After much aggravation, I start working on my spreadsheet of galley changes. I'm pleasantly surprised by the small number of them. Crimson Veil had over 100 changes--I think 125?--and I know I didn't hit 40 with Eternal Nights. Yea!

I finish the spreadsheet, consider whether or not to highlight the changes I really want made, after all with so few, I should get them all, right? Then I look at the clock and realize I was supposed to talk writing about five minutes earlier. I have a standing date for Thursday nights. I hate being late. I'm one of those horribly punctual people who likes to be ten minutes early for everything. Fortunately, I was the first one online. :-) Do I need to mention that my galleys will not be in the mail today? I'll wrap them up today and get them out tomorrow. If I priority mail them, they should reach NYC in time.

So then I was doing email, checking out some potential reference sites, bookmarking the good ones, talking about the WIP, and giving pep talks. It was 9:45 when I realized it was my turn to blog on Crimson City. Gah!

My Thursday ended up being a frazzled, hurry up day from the time I got home until the time I went to bed. Which if you include writing, is what my evenings are like every single solitary day. Every time I turn around, there's something else demanding my time--my email is full of things I need to take care of and I just want to whimper.

The morning, I hit the snooze repeatedly. I'm tired. :-)

This ended up being one big complaint. I didn't mean for that to happen. I was more aiming for explaining how extremely swamped I am. What amazes me is the busier I get, the more demands seem to be put on my time. I even dreamt that I had another demand put on my time and I actually was trying to defer it. I don't know if that worked or not because the alarm went off before I found out.

I am totally looking forward to the weekend. Maybe I should put an away message on my email so that I can have a break. ;-)