BioBooksAwardsComing NextContactBlogFun StuffHome

Friday, April 21, 2006

Writing or the Weather?

The only two things I can think of to talk about are writing or the weather, and since some people don't understand the Midwest fascination with discussing atmospheric events, I guess I'll talk about the writing. (And it's really a shame because we got all this hail yesterday afternoon. Small stuff, less than pea size, but a lot of it. Almost looked like snow.)

So on the writing front, I've been spending a lot of time thinking about the bombshell my heroine shared Sunday night. It's about her past and it isn't pretty stuff. It's the kind of thing you don't see many writers using as background on a h/h. It's also a driving point in my heroine's life, affecting almost everything, which means I'll be putting a fair amount of focus on it.

I started wondering why these things always happen to me. Why can't I have a nice, easy h/h who don't come with a ton of baggage? (Okay, Wyatt and Kendall didn't have anything too dark in their pasts, but still...)

Will I pull my punches because I'm worried about reader reaction to Ryne? No. When it comes right down to it, I owe it to my characters to write them exactly the way they are. If it makes people uncomfortable or if they don't like that, so be it. And maybe I'm wrong, maybe people won't get freaked about her past.

Oh, well. I never did write a light, humorous book. Even Crimson Veil with Mika's sense of humor was dark and Conor had all kinds of issues with his past. Another difficult backstory. As my writing buddy said, It's not like you're writing Regencies. It's not a pretty world and it's not a pretty story. Of course not. In the big picture view, the WIP is basically about the war between good and evil and Ryne is on the frontlines.